Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Lost in the Big Apple - Geography Lesson

We are leaving tomorrow evening. I do not think that Swiss Airlines will let me to update my blog in-flight and I probably will not have time anyway. Get to my seat, shut my eyes and try to get some sleep before the plane touches down in Zurich at 5.00 am body time.

We are really getting the hang of the New York geography. We are saying with Natalie and Wayne Fisher, in "Upper West Side", whom we knew from their time in Zurich. Tomorrow morning we are going "Down-Town" for a trip to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. Today, we visited the United Nations building at "East 46th Street", before catching a bus to the Metropolitan Museum of Art near "East 81st Street". Last night, we went to Carnegie Hall ("57th Street, 7th Avenue")to see Andras Schiff perform Schumann.

Yesterday, we visited Ground Zero, which at the moment is a huge building site. However, we were able to see the plans for the new site, including the plans for the memorial ponds, which are due to be opened September next year.

On Monday, we visited the New York Municipal Library on 42nd Street, (this is Mid-Town, very near to Grand Central Station. Not any old station, this one. Liverpool Street Station - eat your heart out.

I have visited the offices of Deutsche Bank in Park Avenue, and then New Jersey City to see my old colleagues, Lino and Charlie and in so doing, experienced the delights of the Path Line.

I have just got back from a 3 mile round in Central Park, as the first stage of my "Get Fit and Lose Weight" Regime.

So how is your geography knowledge of New York coming now? Everything clear? Personally, I find the random layout of Central London easier to follow, but that is coming from someone, who finds the rules of cricket intuitive.

No comments:

Post a Comment